A thriving wildlife area via the Avon Meadow Wetlands synonymises a beautiful tranquil town where escaping city life can be enjoyed to the full.
To visit their tourism website, click here.
Statue of Eof
During the 8th century, a swineherd Eof (Eoves) was confronted by a vision of the Virgin. After telling his employer, Ecgwin, the third bishop of Worcester of his encounter, Ecgwin visited the same spot and was also visited by a vision in the same form. Interpreting this as an indication that an abbey should be raised in that place, this eventually resulted in the town which developed the name of Eoveshomme (Evesham)
St Augustine's Church
The Bell Tower
The tower, which was constructed around 1530AD on the instructions of Abbot Clement Lichfield, rises to a height of 110ft.
The bell tower was extensively restored between 2015 and 2016 and holds a peal of 14 bells which are considered by many to produce the finest rings in the country. The bells were all cast by John Taylor & Co. Bellfounders of Loughborough with the original set dating back to 1951.
Sacred Heart Church
In 1644, during the English Civil War, a later bridge was damaged and almost destroyed. In subsequent years the bridge was maintained by re-using stones from nearby Elmley Castle and from the abbey. In 1926 the bridge was taken out of service for road traffic and is now used only as a footbridge.
Following the closure of the Abbey by Henry VIII, the Almonry became the personal home of the last Abbot, Philip Ballard
The Almonry has had a varied career: ale house, offices, tea rooms, private home, until it was finally purchased by Evesham Borough Council in 1929, opening as a heritage centre in 1957. Today it houses an eclectic collection that spans the prehistoric to the 20th Century.